Okay, I'm back from my testing and I can say that I think this motor is much more "dialed in" then before. No more tapping! I ended up adjusting the #6 tippet adjustment screw at the bottom split portion of the screw. My original outside thread measurement at the bottom was .360 and I spread it to measure .375. The tippet adjuster went back in fine, but with more tension then before - now you need two 1/2" wrenched to adjust. I ran through Bruce's procedure one more time and all the valves are at .016".
I have some busted knuckles, but I learned a ton this weekend about L134 valve adjustment and I got my distributor and oil pump back to normal. Most important, the jeep is running much better. I'm going to call this a success for the weekend and thanks to all the great advice from the experts on this forum and some personal emails that helped me along the way.
Fender is back on and my horn and lights are connected again.